Exchange Semester for Ukrainian students

Exchange semester at Rhine-Waal University for students of Ukrainian universities

Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (HSRW) offers an opportunity to enrol as a Free Mover exchange student for winter semester 2024-25 to refugee students from Ukraine.

As a Free Mover, you can study with us for up to two semesters, collect credit points and continue your studies, and if you are interested in completing a full degree at our University at a later point, the Central Student Advisory Service will be happy to advise you on our study options and admission requirements.

Free Movers are exchange students who can study with us without a bilateral exchange agreement between their home university and Rhine-Waal University. The basis for this special programme for Ukrainian students at HSRW is the Framework Agreement on Cooperation Higher Education between the German Rectors' Conference (HRK) and the Union of Rectors of Higher Educational Institutions of Ukraine (URHEIU).


Am I eligible to apply for a Free Mover exchange semester at HSRW?

You can apply for a Free Mover exchange semester at HSRW, as part of the framework of the HRK- URHEIU agreement and without nomination by a Ukrainian partner university, if you

  • you were enrolled on 24 February 2022 at a Ukrainian university recognised in Germany and have not yet completed your degree.
  • have the necessary language skills (B2 German for German-language degree programmes, B2 or C1 English for English-language degree programmes).


Which degree programmes can I study as a Free Mover exchange student?

You can choose from the degree programmes linked here. Please find detailed information and module handbooks on the individual webpages of each degree programme.

We recommend that you choose courses accepted at your home university. This way, the credits you earn here during your exchange can later be credited towards the degree programme you started at home.

Please note: As the number of available places in the listed degree programmes is limited, those places will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis:

Faculty Available degree rogrammes Language
Technology and Bionics all degree programmes English
Society and Economics all degree programmes English + German
Life Sciences Agribusiness, B.A.
Sustainable Agriculture, B.Sc.
Lebensmittelwissenschaften, M.Sc.
Communication and Environment all degree programmes English + German


If you are unsure which degree programme suits you best, you can contact our Academic Exchange Coordinators:


Which documents do I have to submit to be admitted to an exchange semester at the HSRW?

  • Copy of enrolment at a Ukrainian university recognised in Germany (please match your home university with the linked list)
  • Proof of language proficiency (if not available, please let us know)
  • Copy of your identity card
  • Registration proof (Meldebescheinigung) confirming your place of residence in Germany (by the enrolment deadline 15 July 2024 at the latest)
  • Proof of health insurance coverage with a German statutory health insurance company (by the enrolment deadline 15 July 2024 at the latest)
  • Proof of payment of the semester fee (WS 2024-25 - please do not transfer the fee until you are asked to do so)
  • Learning Agreement in consultation with the exchange coordinators of the respective faculty (you will receive the necessary form and further instructions in our confirmation message to your email application)

Academic Exchange Coordinators:



If you have a residence permit according to Section 24 of the Residence Act, please ask your Job Centre before you apply, if you are allowed to enrol as an exchange student. If you are not, the Job Centre may reduce your support or, in the worst case, cancel it altogether.

Please note that you will have to finance your living expenses yourself and apply for a residence permit in accordance with Section 16(b) of the Residence Act, if you do not have Ukrainian citizenship.


How do I prove my necessary language skills?


What are the deadlines for my application for a Free Mover exchange semester?

Application deadline: 1 June 2024
Enrolment deadline after admission: 15 July 2024


How do I apply for the Free Mover exchange semester for Ukrainian students?

Please send an email, stating your wish to apply as well as your desired degree programme, to:

In our confirmation reply, we will send you instructions and a link to our Mobility Portal. You can then register online and fill in all the needed information. Please upload all necessary documents to the portal by 31 May 2024. We can only consider your application if all the necessary data is available to us.


Where do I find further information if I prefer to apply for a full degree programme at HSRW?

As a refugee student the same conditions apply to you as to other international students when applying to study at a German university. Rhine-Waal University cooperates closely with the association uni-assist for international students who have earned their school leaving or academic certificates outside of Germany. Please find detailed information on how to apply here.

If you would like to contact us, please send an email to: