Accessibility declaration for Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences
The European Parliament stipulated in the guidelines EU 2016/2102 that public organisations in the European Union must ensure accessibility for their websites and mobile applications. The North Rhine-Westphalian government passed these guidelines into law with the Equal Rights for Persons with Disabilities Act (BGG NRW, in particular § 10 to § 10e) and the IT Accessibility Ordinance (BITV NRW), both of which are binding for all public organisations and responsible bodies for public concerns in the state.
Scope of application
Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (HSRW) is committed to making its online presence accessible to all users in line with BITV NRW and BGG NRW.
This accessibility declaration applies to our website: www.hochschule-rhein-waal.de.
Current compliance with IT accessibility requirements
Our website is partially compliant with the accessibility standards set forth in BITV NRW 2.0.
HSRW is currently working to improve the accessibility of its website. To that end, our website will be undergoing a system upgrade in the near future and is also being prepared for a general relaunch. We kindly request your patience during this process.
Our website www.hochschule-rhein-waal.de is not always compliant with the following criteria of the EN 301 549 accessibility standard.
- 188.8.131.52a Text alternatives for user interface controls: Text alternatives are missing for some hyperlinked images. This issue will be rectified in two stages: first, with the planned system upgrade (November 2023). Any remaining issues will then be rectified with the general relaunch.
- 184.108.40.206b Text alternatives for images and objects: Text alternatives are missing for some informative graphics/images. We are planning to rectify this with the relaunch.
- 220.127.116.11a HTML structure elements for headers: Headers are implemented in a non-uniform and logically inconsistent manner. We are planning to rectify this with the relaunch.
- 18.104.22.168b HTML structure elements for lists: Menus are not marked with suitable HTML structure elements. This will be rectified with the upgrade (November 2023).
- 22.214.171.124h Labelling of elements in digital forms can be programmatically determined: Not all elements in digital forms have meaningful labels. We are planning to rectify this with the relaunch.
- 126.96.36.199 Input fields for personal data serve an identified purpose: This is not always ensured, but we are planning to rectify the issue with the relaunch.
- 188.8.131.52 Sufficient contrast ratios for texts: Sufficient contrast ratios for texts are not always ensured. We are planning to rectify this with the relaunch.
- 184.108.40.206 Avoidance of images of texts: Images of text are sometimes used. This cannot be avoided entirely due to some of HSRW’s promotional materials, but can be mitigated somewhat by the use of text alternatives.
- 220.127.116.11 Sufficient contrast ratios for images and user interface controls: Contrast ratios are not always sufficient, but we are planning to introduce improvements with the relaunch.
- 18.104.22.168 Content functionality without a mouse: Most of the essential content and functions of our website are accessible in Firefox and Chrome, but some elements are not clearly identifiable and can thus be considered inoperable. We are planning to rectify this with the upgrade (November 2023).
- 22.214.171.124 Timing adjustable: Website contents are viewable without any time limit. Forwarding elements sometimes function with a brief delay. Internal content complies with this criterion, but we are limited in our ability to improve compliance for links to external content.
- 126.96.36.199 Identifiable link purposes: This is not always ensured, but we are planning to rectify it with the relaunch.
- 188.8.131.52 Meaningful headers and labels: Some digital forms and social media links do not use headers and labels that meaningfully describe a topic or purpose, but this requirement is satisfied in all other cases. Issues concerning digital forms will be rectified with the relaunch, issues with social media links with the upgrade (November 2023).
- 184.108.40.206 Visible focus: The keyboard focus indicator is not always visible, but potential improvements will be explored as part of the relaunch.
- 220.127.116.11 Alternatives for complex pointer gestures: There are no alternative pointer options for sliders. This will be rectified with the upgrade (November 2023).
- 18.104.22.168 Visible labels are a part of accessible names: Visible labels are not always implemented uniformly in accessible names. The upgrade (November 2023) will partially rectify this issue, and it will be taken into consideration for the relaunch as well.
- 22.214.171.124 Words and passages in other languages are appropriately marked: On some subpages, fewer than 50% of words in other languages are appropriately marked. This issue will be checked for rectification as part of the relaunch.
- 126.96.36.199 Form elements are labelled: This is not always ensured, but will be rectified with the relaunch.
- 188.8.131.52 Parsing: Correct parsing is not always ensured, but will be rectified with the upgrade (November 2023).
- 184.108.40.206 Name, role, value: Semantic information is not always available for user interface components. This will be rectified with the upgrade (November 2023).
Some PDF documents published on our website do not comply with accessibility requirements. Due to the sheer number of uploaded documents, addressing this issue will take some time.
Some videos integrated into our website do not have subtitles. We strive to add subtitles to all new videos produced by HSRW and apologise for not including subtitles in earlier videos.
We are also working to optimise the search function for our website as part of the relaunch.
If you would like access to specific content that does not currently comply with accessibility standards, please contact us at email@example.com or use our contact form: accessible contact form. We will try our best to find a quick solution.
Date of preparation
It is based on a BITV compliance test conducted by the Volmarstein Competence Centre for Accessibility (Kompetenzzentrum Barrierefreiheit Volmarstein) in August 2023.
This declaration was last updated on 5 September 2023.
Contact and feedback
Accessibility issues for content published on www.hochschule-rhein-waal.de can be reported to us at any time. Please send your accessibility-related questions, comments or feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org or use our contact form: accessible contact form.
If you feel that your questions, comments or feedback regarding the accessibility of www.hochschule-rhein-waal.de were not sufficiently addressed after contacting us via the email address above, you can turn to the ombudsperson for IT accessibility in North Rhine-Westphalia for further assistance. The ombudsperson is tasked with supporting the out-of-court arbitration process between individuals with a disability and public organisations in the state of North Rhine-Westphalia. The arbitration process is free of charge. No legal assistance is required to participate.
The ombudsperson is North Rhine-Westphalia’s designated representative for the interests of individuals with a disability in accordance with § 11 of the Equal Rights for Persons with a Disability Act of North Rhine-Westphalia (Behindertengleichstellungsgesetz) and can be contacted via the following means:
Telephone: (0211) 855-3451
Here you can find more information on the ombudsperson for IT accessibility NRW (in German).