Board of Governors
of Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences
The Board of Governors (German: Hochschulrat) plays an immediate, strategic role in shaping the future development of the university. It consists of six external members and four internal members employed by the university who hold positions of responsibility in different spheres of society (particularly in science, research, culture or industry) and who can contribute their exceptional skills, knowledge and experience towards achieving the objectives and duties of the university.
The external members of the Board of Governors are:
- Dr Michael Deilmann (Entwicklungsleiter Sensorik, KROHNE Messtechnik GmbH)
- Brigitte Jansen (Vorstand, wir4-Wirtschaftsförderung AöR Moers)
- Milena Karabaic (Dezernentin für Kultur und Landschaftliche Kulturpflege, Landschaftsverband Rheinland)
- Dr Martin Kessler (Leitender Redakteur Politik, Rheinische Post)
- Professor Dr Aloys Krieg (Leiter Lehrstuhl A für Mathematik und Prorektor für Lehre, RWTH Aachen)
- Professor Stefan Leupertz (Leupertz Baukonfliktmanagement, Honorarprofessor an der TU Dortmund und Richter am Bundesgerichtshof a.D.)
The internal members of the Board of Governors are:
- Professor Dr Joachim Gebel (Professor für Verfahrenstechnik und Thermodynamik an der Fakultät Technologie und Bionik)
- Professor Dr Daniela Lud (Professorin für Umweltbewertung und Umweltsanierung an der Fakultät Kommunikation und Umwelt)
- Professor Dr Diana Marquardt (Professorin für Betriebswirtschaftslehre mit dem Schwerpunkt Tourismuswirtschaft an der Fakultät Gesellschaft und Ökonomie)
- Professor Dr Robert Renner (Professor für Gesundheitsförderung und Ernährung an der Fakultät Life Sciences)
The Board of Governors is entrusted with supervising the Executive Board in the execution of its tasks and duties. Further, it gathers current ideas and insight from society and industry in order to act as an essential advisor for Executive Board decisions. The Board of Directors meets at least four times a year.
In accordance with Section 21 of the Higher Education Act of North Rhine-Westphalia, the tasks and duties of the Board of Governors include, in particular:
- contribute to the process of voting in and voting out members of the Executive Board,
- ratify the ‘Hochschulvertrag’, the institutional contract concluded between the University and the State of North Rhine-Westphalia,
- approve the budget, commercial activities of the University and the addition of new duties and functions,
- supervise the economic management of the Executive Board,
- issue an official statement on the University’s Strategic Development Plan, the statement of account of the Executive Board and evaluation reports,
- issue official statements on matters of research, art, teaching and academics which affect the entire University or central institutions, or are otherwise considered fundamentally important,
- adopt the annual statement of accounts, vote on how to use a remaining surplus or treat an unexpected deficit in the annual budget, and issue formal approval of the actions of the Executive Board.
In accordance with Section 3 of the Rules of Procedure of the Board of Governors of Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, both external and internal members are appointed for a period of five years by the Ministry of Culture and Science of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Caption: State Secretary Annette Storsberg with members of the Board of Governors (f.l.t.r.) Brigitte Jansen, Professor Dr Robert Renner, President Dr. Oliver Locker-Grütjen, Annette Storsberg, Dr-Ing. Michael Deilmann, Professor Dr Daniela Lud, Professor Dr Aloys Krieg, Professor Dr-Ing. Joachim Gebel, Chancellor Michael Strotkemper, Professor Dr Diana Marquardt (missing members in picture: Milena Karabaic, Dr Martin Kessler and Professor Stefan Leupertz)