Free Movers


If no exchange agreement exists between Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences and a specific university abroad, but you wish to study for one or more semesters there (or vice versa), you can do so as a ‘free mover’. Free movers are students who independently organise their exchanges outside of existing exchange agreements with Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences.

The main advantage here is the freedom to choose the university you would like to spend your semester(s) abroad at. The main disadvantage is the added organisational effort required. You must apply to the university, choose the corresponding courses for your study agreement and find accommodation – all on your own. It’s important to also keep in mind the possibly high cost of tuition and student fees, which cannot be waived at the foreign university without an exchange agreement in place.

You can, however, find help through different exchange organisations, which specialise in assisting free movers:

  • GOaustralia, GOzealand, (for Australia, New Zealand) offer free advice, support the application process and grant full scholarships.
  • College Contact also offers free support for making applications.
  • IEC (International Education Centre) provides free information on the possibility to complete studies abroad as a free-mover.


Students wishing to apply to Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences as free movers are required use the regular application procedure to do so. Once you have received admission and enrolled, you can choose which courses and examinations you want to take according to your study agreement with your home university. Please make sure that the courses you wish to attend are offered in the semester you are going to be at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences. You can find the information in each programme’s module handbook and examination regulations.