FAQ Incoming Students

FAQ's for students


Degree seeking students

Exchange students


  • Incomings
  • Outgoings
  • Free Movers


This page addresses questions commonly asked by our incomings. If your question is not addressed here, please send it to us using the text box of the related topic. To submit your question, please click ‘Submit form’ at the end of this page.

Information about the student

Incoming Student

Table of content1



Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule Rhein-Waal)

Campus Kleve

Marie-Curie-Straße 1, 47533 Kleve

Campus Kamp-Lintfort

Friedrich-Heinrich-Allee 25, 47475 Kamp-Lintfort










Ms. Anne-Carolin Ahrberg

Phone 0049 2842 908 25 227

Email exchangestudents@hochschule-rhein-waal.de

Facebook Facebook International Center






Nomination Deadline

  • For winter terms: 1 May
  • For summer terms: 1 November

Please send the nomination to the following email address: Exchangestudents@hochschule-rhein-waal.de

Nomination Procedure

After receiving the nomination from the home university, we will email  the link of our online application platform directly to the applicant. In order to be able to accept the application, the online form needs to be filled in properly and all required documents need to be uploaded.

Application Documents

  • Transcript of records
  • Proof of enrolment
  • Scan of your Passport or ID Card
  • Photo

Note: These documents must be submitted through the online application form. It is not necessary to send any documents by post!

Deadline for Online application

Winter term: 1 June

Summer term: 1 December

Your specific question to nomination and application




Lectures and Examination Periods

Please find our lecture periods here:


Note: “Semester start/end” refers to the official administrative dates of the university and has in fact no relevance for you! The important dates for you are the dates of the lecture period (see link above).

The examination period covers the last two weeks of each lecture period. Please revise the academic calendar for the exact dates.

Introductory week: in winter semester only (around second and third week of September)


Date of Arrival

Summer semester: Enrolment day end of March / beginning of April. Winter semester: Enrolment day during the last week of September.

The specific dates will be communicated well in advance.




Language of Instruction

Depends on the study program: please see description of the study program on our website.


Language Requirements

For programs in English: Level B2 in English


Course Catalogue


You will also find a handbook of modules under each course. Here you can find out in which semester the modules are offered. Please check if the desired study program is offered at Kleve campus or Kamp-Lintfort campus!

Exchange Students will be enrolled for one study program. You are able to take other modules within the same Faculty, depending on your previous education and the  possibilities  offered  by  our  Faculty’s  study  plan  for  the given semester.

However, please note: If you select courses from different study courses or different semesters (e.g. semester 2 and 4), this might lead to clashes in your time table and/ or clashes in the examination period, as the faculties usually can only assure that examinations within one semester are not overlapping. Please consider this in your planning.


Bachelor degree students: For the winter semester only modules from se- mesters 1, 3, and 5 and for the summer semester only modules from semesters 2, 4, and 6 can be chosen from the module catalogue.

Master degree students: Please check on the website of the university whether the program you are interested in starts in the winter semester and/or the summer semester. Then see in the module description which modules are offered in the semester you will be here.

It is only possible to take whole modules and not individual courses within a module (many of the modules consist of two courses).

Our winter semester (usually End September to Beginning February) is referred to on the learning agreement as Autumn; our Summer Semester (usually End March/Beginning April – Mid/End July) is referred to on the learning agreement as Spring.


Credit points

Our credit points are equivalent to ECTS.



According to students´ individual needs and/or according to the requirements of the home university. The maximum is 30 ECTS per term.


German Language Courses

German language courses are offered free of charge every semester. More information can be found via the following link:


Please note: language courses cannot be included in the Learning Agreement!


Is there an Academic advisor to assist in choosing courses?

The Academic exchange coordinators of the respective faculty are the contact persons for the approval of the Learning Agreement:

Faculty of Technology and Bionics

Ms. Doris Gerland


Faculty of Life Science

Ms. Anna Eliseeva


Faculty of Society and Economics

Dr. Anne Tempel


Faculty of Communication and Environment

Prof. Dr. habil. Waltraud Kofer


After your admission you must still enrol to become an exchange student of Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences and get your student ID card. Exchange students will receive an invitation for the enrolment day by email well in advance.




Date and Documents

  • Letter of admission

  • Original ID document

  • Proof of payment of the semester fees Health insurance

  • Passport picture

  • Signed Learning Agreement




Semester fees

Students are obliged to pay an enrolment fee for each new semester they register at the university. Semester fees are governed by the respective Regulations on Contributions of both the Student Body and the Studierendenwerk. 

The current fees can be checked here.

Important note: Usually there are fees for an international money transfer. You should instruct your bank not to deduct these costs from the fees payable to the university! Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences does not charge any tuition fees. However, all students are obliged to pay an enrolment fee for each new semester. This fee is mainly for the Semester Ticket, which is a public transportation pass valid for most bus and train lines running in North Rhine-Westphalia. The Semester Ticket provides a range of mobility options to students at an other-wise unbeatable price. Moreover, the fee includes the mandatory social security contribution and the contribution to the faculty’s Student Representative Body.

With the Semester Ticket you also profit of a price reduction in the canteen. Please wait with transferring the semester fees until you have received an admission letter and until your visa (in case you are from outside the EU) has been approved and you are sure that you are able to travel to Germany!



Approx. € 250,- to 350,- per month;

Note: Private housing may be more expensive and in any case you have to leave a security deposit amounting to two or three months’ rent (one month for flat share at the hall of residence), which is returned to you at the end of your term of residence as long as you are not in arrears of rent and no damage or abnormal wear and tear has been caused to the living quarters.


Health Insurance

Approx. € 110,- (Non-European only) - Conditions for students are the same for all public health insurance companies.



Please find the prices and the menu of the canteens here:



General overview

You will find some information about general costs of living in Germany here:

www.internationale-studierende.de/en/prepare_your_studies/financing/costs_ of_living/ ww.internationale-studierende.de/en



Please note that it is the student’s own responsibility to arrange an accommodation. We strongly recommend that you make arrangements for accommodation in Kleve or Kamp-Lintfort as soon as poosible after you have received your Letter of Admission!

Housing opportunities for Kleve and Kamp-Lintfort are available through private offers. Please note that it can be difficult to find shortterm housing in Kleve and Kamp-Lintfort! The official Homepage of the Rhine-Waal Uni- versity may provide you with valuable information regarding accommodation in Kleve and Kamp-Lintfort. When studying in Kleve, we also suggest to search for accommodation in the surrounding villages (e.g. Goch, Weeze, Bedburg-Hau and Kranenburg) as the public transport connection is very good.


Please also consult the International Center’s Facebook page where you can find helpful information, links and announcements.


There are different Facebook fan pages/groups where students may advertise available rooms.



Here you will find some additional online links which can help you in searching for housing in our region:




If you need any assistance, please contact the Welcome Centre!





Permit of residency / Visa

It is very important to arrange your visa before coming to Germany! Depending on your home country; please consult your local embassy (not required for European students, you do not need a visa). In general, you are obliged to show proof of sufficient funding to study in Germany and open a special “blocked” bank account with the legally set amount of 8040 € for one year.

Once you arrive in Germany, you must present your visa at the local Immigra-tion Office (Ausländerbehörde), to get a student residence permit. You also need so register as a resident in the local City Hall.

Health insurance

In order to enroll at a public university in Germany, students are requiredto have German public health insurance or a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Please note: Travel insurances (e.g. Mawista) are not accepted, as they have limited coverage!


Students from EU countries:

Please request a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) from your local health insurance company.


Students from Non-EU countries:

You must sign up for German health insurance before you can enroll at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences. You can easily do this after your arrival in Germany!

On enrolment day, representatives from different public health insurance companies (e.g. Barmer, AOK, KKH, DAK) will be on hand to assist you. Rates for student health insurance will be around 90 EUR per month, regardless of provider. It goes without saying, but the University does not receive any commission or referral benefits from health insurance providers!


Exception for Turkish students:

Turkish students with public health insurance who will be studying in Germany must provide a form called “TA/11”. This form is proof of your public health insurance in Turkey and is accepted in lieu of German health insurance.

Private health insurance is not accepted, so students with private Turkish health insurance must sign up for German public health insurance for the length of their exchange period.



Airport: Düsseldorf (DUS), then take the regional train:


Video: How to get from AIRPORT DUS to KLEVE

Free time
Closing section