Psychological Counselling Service
Short term counselling and support
Studying at university is an exciting time filled with new experiences and challenges, some of which are more difficult than others: moving away from home to a new city or even country, adjusting to new surroundings and making new friends, adapting to a different education system and managing your growing independence and the pressures that come with it.
Mastering these challenges can be a fun, enriching experience, but it can also lead to stress and other difficulties that may seem impossible to overcome on your own.
Short term counselling and support
The Psychological Counselling Service of Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences provides short term individual counselling and support to students with personal problems. Our job is to encourage your own self-help efforts, meaning we help you to better understand your problems and rediscover or build up your inner strength. In a next step, we can develop and implement manageable solutions to your problems.
Frequent topics in counselling sessions
For which problems can you consult the Psychological Counselling Service of the HSRW?
- Stress management, feeling overworked
- Social difficulties and suffering from loneliness
- Depressed mood
- Stress and anxiety before exams
- General fears, anxiety and depression
- Addiction and eating disorders
- Difficult decisions and dilemmas
- Relationship and family conflicts
- Problems before, during or after a pregnancy
- Dissatisfaction with the current life situation
- Feeling generally unsatisfied or unhappy
- Solutions and support in special circumstances or acute distress
- ... simply wanting someone to talk to
Please note: Psychological Counselling is no psychotherapy! Psychotherapy pursues the goal of curing or alleviating mental health disorders. Thus psychotherapy is a medical science. However, Psychological Counseling can assist you getting an assessment if criteria of mental-health problems are appropriate to the person seeking advice and therapy would be advisable. In case of need, we will assist you in finding a suitable ambulant therapist or inpatient treatment centers.
The counselling offer …
- is free of charge
- is unbureaucratic, a short-term appointment is usually possible
- is absolutely confidential and anonymous on request. The medical confidentiality is valid toward third parties and also applied to all employees of the HSRW.
- takes the individual diversity of the origin, biography, personality and life style of the person seeking advice into consideration
- is specialized in the special challenges of academic studies and student life
Please visit us during our office hours, or contact us by email or telephone to arrange a counselling session or simply learn more about our services. We have an open door policy during our office hours in Kleve and Kamp-Lintfort, so please feel free to come by without an appointment.
Due to vacation the Psychological Counselling isn´t occupied from 22.08.2019 to 09.09.2019. The next open consultation hours will take place on 10.09. 2019 in Kleve and on 12.09.2019 in Kamp-Lintfort from 11:00-12:00.
Open Consultation Campus Kleve:
Tuesdays 11:00 am – 12:00 noon
Room 20 01 048. Please report at the reception
The open consultation has to be cancelled at 13th of June!
Open Consultation Campus Kamp-Lintfort:
Thursdays 11:00 am-12:00 noon
Room 04 01 445
You can reach us by phone at +49 2821 80673 9643. An answering machine will answer, where you can leave your contact information.
Or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
In your own interest: Unencrypted emails are no secure form of communication. We therefore ask you to ensure privacy, and use the specified contact options only for arranging appointments. Please give details of your situation only in a personal conversation.
If you like, we make an appointment with you for a detailed introductory meeting (about 40 min.). An initial interview may help you to get an overview of your study and life situation, personal difficulties and your goals. Continuous meetings will be arranged according to your individual needs. If necessary we refer you to other forms of professional support. For organizational reasons, the counselling sessions usually take place by appointment but in acute emergencies we try to make a short-term appointment possible.
Please note that the Psychological Counselling is not staffed every day, so our reply may take a few days.