FAQ for students
- Where can I request new passwords for HIS, Moodle and my email account?
- Where can I find timetables?
- How can I change my contact information?
- Can I register for the fourth semester without having completed the 8-week internship requirement?
- Can I change my degree programme?
- I am interested in a study abroad semester. Where can I get more information?
- Is it possible to get a waiver of the regional and NRW Ticket?
- Can I take an academic leave of absence?
- I will be studying abroad / doing an internship next semester. Do I have to register for this semester at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences?
- Where can I find an overview of the modules in my degree programme?
- I’ve been admitted to different university and won’t begin my studies at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, but I’ve paid my semester fee. Is a refund possible?
- I would like to withdraw from the university. Can I keep my student ID?
- How can I transfer credits from my previous studies to Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences?
IT Service can provide you with new passwords for HIS, Moodle and your University email account.
Enrolment keys for courses in Moodle are available from your instructors.
Timetables are published in Moodle in your faculty’s area. You can also find timetables on your faculty’s pin board.
You can change your address yourself in the HIS portal.
Just login with your account and go to general administration -> contact information -> semester address and fill in your current address.
After changing the semester address go to “correspondence address” and select “Semesteranschrift”.
4. Can I register for the fourth semester without having completed the 8-week internship requirement?
No, you must have completed your 8-week internship requirement to register for your fourth semester of study. The deadline for completion can be found in the examination regulations of your degree programme.
In other words, if you do not complete this requirement, you cannot receive your student ID or register for exams. If you are are currently doing your internship and need an extension, please speak with your faculty representatives.
Yes, it’s possible to change degree programmes at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences. If you are a first-semester student who originally decided on one degree programme, but would now like to enrol in a different one, then you must have a letter of admission for the new degree programme. In other words, you have to apply online for the new degree programme as well.
If you’re in your second semester of study or later, and you’ve already completed courses or exams in the degree programme you wish to change to, then you can apply for admission to that programme as an advanced student. You can find the form (“Application for change of study programme”) at Forms and Deadlines. Please submit the completed and signed form to the Student Support Centre.
The International Office offers consultation hours especially for students planning a study abroad semester. You can also find a list of our partner universities with whom we have exchange agreements.
All students who meet the requirements in Section 5 of the Beitragsordnung der Studierendenschaft der Hochschule Rhein-Waal (Semester Fee Regulations of the Student Body of HSRW/available only in German) can apply for an exemption from the bi-annual Semester Ticket. Applications for exemptions (see Forms and Deadlines) must be submitted before the semester registration deadline.
Academic leaves of absence are only granted for specific, important reasons, which are outlined in Section 9 of the Einschreibungsordnung (HSRW Enrolment Regulations/available only in German).
All requests for academic leaves of absence must be submitted in writing. You can find the form in the Student Advisory Service or under Forms and Deadlines.
9. I will be studying abroad / doing an internship next semester. Do I have to register for this semester at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences?
If you’ll be studying abroad or doing an internship for your degree programme in the next semester, you must register again as a student at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences for this semester as well!
If you will not be on campus for the semester due to studying abroad or an internship, you can apply for a temporary exemption from the Semester Ticket. To do so, please submit the proper form before the semester registration deadline.
Please note that your application can only be approved once your study abroad semester or your practical semester has been approved by your faculty’s Examination Board.
Please see the recommended study plan in the annex of the examination regulations for your degree programme. Examination regulations are available online.
11. I’ve been admitted to different university and won’t begin my studies at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences, but I’ve paid my semester fee. Is a refund possible?
You must submit a refund application before the official deadline set by the state of North Rhine-Westphalia (refer to the dates on this page). You must also return your student ID and proof of enrolment if they were issued to you.
Please send your refund application to the Student Support Centre. Please mark the option “Deregistration/withdrawal from course of study”.
Yes, but only for as long as you are officially a student. If you submit an application for withdrawal/deregistration with delayed effect, then you must return your student ID and your semester ticket by the date indicated. If you deregister with immediate effect, you must hand in your student ID and semester ticket immediately.
You can request an application for credit transfer from the Dean’s Office of your faculty. This form, along with all supporting documents, must then be submitted to the Dean’s Office for final consideration.
Generally, a transfer request must be submitted during your first two semesters. Please refer Section 9 of the General Examination Regulations for Bachelor’s Programmes for more information.