DAAD English Exam
As a Rhine-Waal University student you are offered the chance to gain a DAAD English Language Certificate. This might be needed to give evidence of your English language proficiency when applying for studies and scholarships abroad which are organized by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) and for which you have to apply to them. The DAAD exam will test your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. For students at Rhine-Waal University the exam is free of charge.
Since the certificate is valid for 12 months only, bachelor students must be at least in their 4th semester to apply.
Dates and registration
To register, please use Moodle.
Bachelor Students must be at least in their 4th semester to apply.
- You will need the DAAD Certificate mainly for scholarships and studies abroad which are organized by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) itself and for which you have to apply to them.
- Only in exceptional cases the DAAD certificate will be accepted by international universities or institutions where you choose to apply individually. We strongly recommended that you check in advance, whether the chosen institution will except the DAAD certificate. The only way to find out may be to contact them directly.
- The certificate is valid for 12 months only. To guarantee that it is up-to-date when applying, tests will be offered on a regular basis. You shouldn't register unless plans for your stay abroad are fixed (bachelor students must be at least in their 4th semester).
- We don't offer any special preparation courses for this exam since your current language skills are supposed to be tested. (Still, it is always a good idea to attend a language course at the Language Center. In any case you should brush up your grammar, read English magazines, watch English films or listen to English radio stations). For most applications you will need to achieve a “B” in all four parts of the test which is equivalent to C1 level according to the CEF.
- During the exam you will have to write a text, do a reading and a listening exercise and attend an interview. The written part will take approx. 1 hour and is followed by an interview of about 10 minutes. Due to the fact that the interviews will be held individually, please calculate some waiting time. You will get your results a few days after taking the exams.
You will need to bring the following documents:
Student ID and ID card.