Prospective students with qualifications earned neither in Germany, nor from a German education institution must meet specific, legal requirements to study at Rhine-Waal University of Applied Sciences:
Requirements for undergraduate (bachelor’s) degree programmes
The three main requirements for admission to a bachelor’s degree programme are:
- University Entrance Qualification (HZB, from Hochschulzugangsberechtigung)
This is proof that you have reached a sufficient level of schooling to attend a higher education institution in Germany. If you did not earn your HZB in Germany, then you must apply through uni-assist so that the equivalency of your international HZB can be established. Uni-assist establishes equivalency based on official guidelines from the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (Kultusministerkonferenz), the German Rector’s Conference (Hochschulrectorenkonferenz) and the Central Office for Foreign Education (Zentralstelle für ausländisches Bildungswesen).
- Language requirements
You must prove that you understand and can follow the language of your degree programme at an advanced level. This requires an internationally recognised language certificate. If you are applying to a degree programme taught in English, your certificate must be in English. If you are applying to a degree programme taught in German, you need a German certificate. For more information, please see requirements for bachelor’s programmes.
- Proof of a completed preparatory internship
This requirement must be met before the 4th semester enrolment deadline. More information can be found in the examination regulations of the individual degree programmes.
Note for restriction admission (N.C.) programmes: Numerus Clausus degree programmes (N.C.) rely on a process of selection when the number of applicants exceeds the number of available seats. See application process for bachelor’s programmes for more information. The results of the previous selection procedures for programmes with restricted admission (N.C. values) can be viewed here.
Requirements for postgraduate (master’s) degree programmes
The three main requirements for admission to a master’s degree programme:
- A professionally qualifying first degree in the same or a related field to the desired master’s degree programme (required by § 49 para. 7 of the Higher Education Act NRW);
- The final cumulative grade for the professionally qualifying first degree must meet the minimum grade requirement set for the desired programme (refer to application process for master’s degree programmes);
- Language requirement: English language certificate for degree programmes taught in English, German language certificate for programmes in German. Please see application process for master’s degree programmes for more information.